REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The transfer case is removed as an assembly with the transmission.
- Remove the transmission assembly. On some models it will be necessary to remove the breather hose between the transmission control retainer and the transfer case upper cover.
- Remove the rear engine mount from the case. Remove the dynamic damper if one is present.
- Remove the upper driveshaft dust cover.
- Remove the transfer case adapter rear mounting bolts, then pull the transfer case straight up and remove it.
Be careful not to damage the adapter rear oil seal during removal.To install:
- Move the 2 shift forks into the H4 position.
- Coat the adapter oil seal with grease and position a new gasket on the transfer case adapter.
- Install the transfer case to the transmission. Tighten the bolts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm). The longer bolts are used at the dust cover, the shorter ones are used in all other locations.
- Install the rear engine mount and tighten the bolts to 19 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Install the dynamic damper if one was removed.
- Install the breather hose if one was removed. Install the transmission assembly.