REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the front of the truck and support with safety stands.
- Remove the wheels.
- Remove the brake caliper and suspend it with wire, out of the way.
- Remove the caliper mount bracket (torque plate).
- Remove the axle end cap and then remove the cotter pin, nut lock and nut. Discard the cotter pins.
- Pull the hub/disc assembly off the spindle with the outer bearing. Don't let the bearing fall out.
- Pry the inner oil seal out and remove the inner bearing from the hub.
- Clean the bearings and outer races and inspect them for wear or cracks.
- Using a brass drift and a hammer, drive out the bearing outer race. Press a new one into position.
- Pack the bearings with grease until it oozes out the other side. Coat the inside of the hub and cap with grease.
- Position the inner bearing into the hub, coat the oil seal with grease and press it into the hub.
- Press the hub assembly onto the spindle and install the outer bearing and thrust washer.
- Install the hub nut and tighten. Turn the hub a few times to seat the bearings, and then loosen the nut until there is no more than 0.02 in. (0.5mm) play. Using a spring tension gauge, check that the preload is 1.3-4.0 lbs. (0.59-1.8 kg).
- Install the locknut, new cotter pin and hub grease cap.
- Install the brake torque plate to the knuckle.
- Install the brake caliper.
- Bleed the brake system.
- Install the wheels and lower the vehicle.