REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Remove the wheels, raise the truck and support it on safety stands.
- On some models it will be necessary to remove the engine undercover.
- Paint matchmarks on the strut bar and retaining nut.
- Remove the retaining nut from the front of the bar.
- Remove the nuts holding the bar to the lower control arm and lift out the strut bar.
- Position the bar and install the front nut so that the matchmarks line up.
- Slide the washer and bushing onto the bar and install it to the bracket at the rear.
- Install the collar, bushing and washer to the other side and then connect the rear of the bar to the control arm. Tighten the mounting nut to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
- Lower the truck and bounce it several times to set the suspension.
- Tighten the front nut to 90 ft. lbs. (123 Nm) and check the alignment.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the shock absorber.
- Compress the spring using a spring compressor, according to the tool manufacturer's instructions.
Disconnect the stabilizer bar as follows:
- Remove the nut and stabilizer bar link from the lower control arm.
- Remove the two stabilizer bar bracket set bolts.
Remove the lower control arm and strut bar as follows:
- Support the upper control arm and steering knuckle securely.
- Support the upper control arm and steering knuckle assembly.
- Remove the cotter pin and nut.
- Using a ball joint extractor, disconnect the lower ball joint from the lower control arm.
- Loosen the lower control arm set bolt and remove the nut.
- Loosen the strut bar front set bolt, then remove the nut.
- Pull out the bolts and remove the lower control arm along with the strut bar.
Install the lower control arm and strut bar as follows:
- Attach the strut bar front set bolt, tighten to 221 ft. lbs. (300 Nm) make sure the suspension is stabilized prior to tightening the bolt.
- Install the lower control arm set bolt and nut; tighten to 148 ft. lbs. (200 Nm). Make sure the suspension is stabilized prior to tightening the bolt.
- Install the lower ball joint with a ball joint installer tool. Install the nut and cotter pin. Tighten the nut to 80 ft. lbs. (110 Nm).
- Attach the stabilizer bar bracket set bolts; tighten to 22 ft. lbs. (29 Nm).
- Install the stabilizer link to the lower control arm; tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Remove the spring compressing tool.
- Install the shock absorber.
- Install the wheel, lower the truck and tighten the lug nuts.
- Have the alignment checked at a reputable repair facility.