- Flip the ball joint stud back-and-forth five times.
- Install the nut.
- Turn the nut, with a torque wrench, one turn (continuously) each 24 seconds.
- Take the torque reading on the fifth turn.
- Turning torque should be 639 inch lbs. (0.74.4 Nm).
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and support the vehicle on jackstands.
- Remove the front tire and wheel assembly.
- Detach the steering knuckle.
- Remove four nuts and bolts from the upper ball joint.
- Remove the upper ball joint from the suspension arm.
- Installation is the reverse of removal.
Please refer to the appropriate procedure under "4WD FRONT SUSPENSION" in this section.Tacoma and Tundra
- Remove the front wheel.
- Remove the steering knuckle with the axle hub.
Separate the upper ball joint as follows:
- Remove the wire and boot.
- Using a snapring expander, remove the snapring.
- With a ball joint remover and a deep socket, remove the upper ball joint.
- With the aid of the ball joint installer and a socket wrench, install the ball joint.
- Using a snapring expander, install a new snapring.
- Apply multi-purpose grease, then install a new boot. Fix it with a new wire.
- Install the steering knuckle with the axle hub.
- Install the front wheel, lower the vehicle and tighten the lug nuts.
- Have the alignment checked at a reputable repair facility.