REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise the rear of the truck and support it on jackstands.
- Remove the drain plug and drain the differential oil.
- Remove the rear axle shafts.
- Disconnect the driveshaft at the differential. On vehicles with anti-lock brakes, remove the rear speed sensor from the differential housing and disconnect the wiring harness clip from the housing.
- On vehicles with differential lock, disconnect the harness and tube.
- Remove the mounting bolts and lift out the differential carrier assembly.
Install a new gasket and position the carrier assembly into the axle housing. Tighten the mounting bolts to:
4Runner, Tacoma and T100 with differential lock: 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm)
- Connect the driveshaft to the companion flange on the differential. Install the rear speed sensor if it was removed; install the wire harness clips.
- Install the rear axle shafts.
- Lower the truck and fill the differential with gear oil. Drive the truck and check for any leaks.