REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Remove the rear wheel, and rear brakes.
- If equipped, remove the Antilock Brake Sensor (ABS) from the rear axle assembly.
- Disconnect the brake line and parking brake cable.
- Remove the four backing plate mounting nuts and pull the axle shaft from the housing.
- Remove the bearing retainer and antilock brake sensor rotor (differential side) by threading a nut over the bolts and lightly tapping with a hammer.
Do NOT reuse the nuts removed from the vehicle.
- Grind the ABS sensor retainer and rotor surfaces, and then chisel them out.
- Place washers and four new nuts over the serration bolts and tighten the bolts to install the serration bolts to the backing plate.
- Remove the four bolts from the serration bolts.
- Remove the snapring.
- Remove the axle shaft from the backing plate.
- A special service tool (SST part number 09521-25011) will be needed to remove the rear axle shaft and bearing retainer from the backing plate. After the axle is removed, disconnect the service tool.
- Remove the outer oil seal.
- Remove the rear axle bearing.
- Remove the inner oil seal
- Install the inner oil seal with the proper seal driver.
- Install the rear axle bearing and outer seal.
- Place the axle shaft and a new bearing retainer into the backing plate.
- Replace the snapring.
- Bleed the braking system and check for leaks.
- Install a new ABS speed sensor rotor and retainer (differential side).
- Replace the rear axle shaft assembly.
- Connect brake line and parking brake cable.
- Install the ABS sensor into the rear axle housing.
- Install the rear brake assembly.
- Replace the brake drum and rear wheel.