REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Work must not begin until at least 90 seconds after the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative battery cable is disconnected from the battery. The SRS is equipped with a back-up power source so that if the work is started within the 90 seconds of disconnecting the negative terminal, the SRS may be deployed.
- Disarm the SRS system. For additional information, please refer to the following topic(s): "CHASSIS ELECTRICAL," "SRS System." See .
On models without tilt steering, proceed as follows:
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the two steering wheel lower covers. Using a Torx driver, loosen the Torx screws until the groove along the screw circumference catches on the screw case.
- Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel, then detach the air bag connector.
- Remove the steering wheel set nut. A special wheel puller may be needed. Place matchmarks on the steering wheel and mainshaft assembly. Remove the wheel.
- Unplug the harness.
- Align the matchmarks on the wheel and the mainshaft. Tighten the wheel set nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Attach the harness.
- Attach the air bag harness, then install the wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the Torx screw is caught on the screw case.
- Using a Torx driver, tighten the screws to 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the steering wheel covers.
- Check the steering wheel center point.