REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 9
Clean, high quality brake fluid is essential to the safe and proper operation of the brake system. You should always buy the highest quality brake fluid that is available. If the brake fluid becomes contaminated, drain and flush the system, then refill the master cylinder with new fluid. Never reuse any brake fluid. Any brake fluid that is removed from the system should be discarded.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery.
- If equipped, disconnect the level warning switch connector from the master cylinder.
- A small screen is located inside the reservoir, remove it.
- Using a syringe, remove the brake fluid from the master cylinder.
- Using a line wrench, disconnect the brake lines from the master cylinder.
- Remove the master cylinder-to-power booster mounting nuts.
- A bracket is behind one of the retaining nuts, remove this and set aside.
- Remove the master cylinder assembly and gasket from the power brake unit.
- It is recommended to discard the old gasket if the unit has never been removed.
Adjust the length of the brake booster pushrod as follows:
- Install a new gasket on the master cylinder.
- Install SST 09737-00010, or equivalent, on the master cylinder gasket and lower the pin until its tip slightly touches the piston.
- Turn the tool upside down and position it on the brake booster.
- Measure the clearance between the booster pushrod and the pin head on the SST tool.
- There should not be any clearance. If not, adjust the booster pushrod length until the pushrod lightly touches the pin head.
When adjusting the pushrod, depress the brake pedal so that the pushrod sticks out.
- Remove the SST tool and install the master cylinder to the brake booster using a new gasket.
- Install the master cylinder four nuts and torque the nuts to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm).
- Using a line wrench, connect the two brake lines to the master cylinder. Torque the union nuts to 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).
- Connect the level warning switch connector.
- Place the screen into the reservoir.
- Fill the brake reservoir with brake fluid and bleed the brake system.
- Check and adjust brake pedal.
- Connect the negative battery cable to the battery.