REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 10
- Raise and support the vehicle. the distributor is located on the passenger side of the vehicle.
- On the 2TZ-FZE engine, remove the exhaust pipe heat insulator.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Label and disconnect the spark plug wires. Each wire has a clip to be depressed for release.
- Remove the cap and packing.
- Disconnect the distributor wiring and ventilation hoses.
- Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC of the compression stroke. Install the service bolt and nut into the equipment driveshaft to turn the crankshaft pulley until the timing mark is aligned with the 0 mark on the timing chain cover.
- Turn the crankshaft one turn if the rotor is not facing No. 1 spark plug wire.
Check that the rotor direction is as shown, if not, turn the drive pulley one complete revolution.
- Place markings on the distributor housing, and rotor positions. Remove the two hold-down bolts and pull the distributor out of the engine.
- Disconnect and label any hoses attached to the distributor assembly.
Engine Not Rotated
See Figure 11
- Install a new O-ring to the distributor and lubricate with engine oil if it has not recently been replaced.
- Insert the distributor, aligning the center of the distributor housing flange with the bolt hole on the cylinder head.
- Engage the distributor drive with the oil pump drive shaft.
- Install the distributor hold-down clamp, the cap, the high tension wire, the primary wire or the electrical connector and the vacuum line(s).
- Install the spark plug cables.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Reset all digital components such as the radio.
See Figures 11, 12 and 13
- If the engine was disturbed while the distributor was removed, continue as follows:
- Turn the drive pulley clockwise, and position the slit of the exhaust camshaft as shown in the illustration.
Make sure the slit in the exhaust camshaft is in the proper position.
- Remove the service bolt and nut.
- Align the cut out portion of the coupling with the groove on the housing.
- Install the distributor and align the center of the flange with the bolt hole on the cylinder head.
- Install the hold-down bolt loosely.
- Install the seal packing, distributor cap, air hoses and connect the wiring.
- Adjust the timing to specifications and tighten the hold-down bolt to 14 ft. lbs. (19 Nm).