REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Turn the ignition key to the OFF position. Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds from the time the negative battery was disconnected to start work.
- If equipped with power door locks, windows or any other power option located on the door, remove the inner door panel and disconnect the electrical component.
- Remove the wire harness retainers and extract the harness from the door.
- Use a floor jack padded with rags or soft lumber to support the door at its lower midpoint. Use a felt tip marker to outline the hinge position on the door.
- Disconnect the door check rod. To prevent the rod from falling inside the door, install the retainer into the hole in the end of the check rod.
- Have a helper support the door, keeping it upright at all times. Remove the bolts holding the upper and lower hinges for the door.
- Using two people, lift the door clear of the van.
- The door hinge may be removed from the body if necessary.
- If the door hinge is removed from the body, reinstall it and tighten the bolts securely.
- Place the door in position and support it. Use the jack to fine tune the position until the bolt holes and matchmark (hinge outline) align.
- Apply an appropriate amount of multipurpose grease to the lower hinge and cam sliding area. Using engine oil, lubricate between the lower hinge pin and the roller.
- Install the hinge bolts and nuts. Tighten the bolts securely.
- If all has gone well, the door should almost be in the original position. Refer to the door adjustment procedures to align the door and body. It may be necessary to loosen the hinge bolts and reposition the door; remember to retighten them each time or the door will shift out of place.
- Once adjusted, connect the door check lever and install the pin. Install the hinge covers if any were removed.
- Route the wiring harness(es) into the body and connect them to their leads.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Test the operation of any electrical components in the door (locks, mirrors, speakers, etc.) and test drive the car, checking the door for air leaks and rattles.
See Figures 2 through 6
- Using a taped flatbladed tool, remove the end molding from the door.
- Remove the bolt and catch spring.
- Remove the door handle with clip. Use a rag or special clip removal tool.
- Slide the door rearward to disconnect the upper, lower and center rollers from the rails, then remove the sliding door.
- Slide the door forward to connect the center roller, the lower and upper rollers to the rails. install the sliding door.
- Install and secure the bolt and catch spring.
- Inspect the clips on the door molding. Replace any broken clips and attach to the door.
See Figures 7, 8 and 9
Since the centering bolt is used as the door hinge and lock set bolt, the door and lock can not be adjusted with it on. Substitute the bolt with a washer for the centering bolt.
- Remove the hinge spacer.
To adjust the door in forward, rearward and vertical directions, perform the following adjustment:
- Loosen the body side hinge bolts.
- Adjust the door to the desired position.
- Secure the body side hinge bolts or nuts and check the door for proper alignment.
To adjust the door in left, right and vertical directions, perform the following adjustments:
- Loosen the door side hinge bolts slightly.
Susbtitute the bolt with a washer for the centering bolt.
- Adjust the door to the desired position.
- Secure the door side hinge bolts and check the door for proper alignment.
To adjust the door lock striker, perform the following procedure:
- Check that the door fit and the door lock linkages are adjusted properly.
- Slightly loosen the striker mounting screws to adjust.
- Using a plastic tipped hammer, tap the striker until the desired position is obtained.
- Tighten the striker mounting screws.
See Figures 10 through 16
To adjust the side of the door in forward/rearward and vertical directions:
- Remove the 2 bolts and the rear lock striker.
- Remove the door trim.
- Loosen the center roller mounting bolts to adjust.
- With the door closed, adjust the center roller so that it may be placed 0-0.039 inch (0-1.0mm) above the race.
To adjust the door in the vertical direction:
- While opening the door, loosen the lower roller mounting bolts to adjust.
To adjust the door in the horizontal direction:
- Loosen upper roller adjusting bolts to adjust.
Ensure that the clearance between the upper roller and rail are as shown in the illustration throughout the stroke.
Clearance should be:
A-0.177 inch (4.5mm)
- Clearance should be:
- Loosen the lower roller adjusting bolts to adjust.
To adjust the female stopper:
- Loosen the door side down female stopper mounting bolts to adjust.
- With the door closed, adjust the down female stopper so that it may be placed 0.079 inch (2.0mm) above the race.
To adjust the front lock striker:
- Check that the door fit and door lock linkages are adjusted correctly.
- Loosen the striker mounting screws to adjust.
- Using a plastic hammer, tap the striker to adjust it.
To adjust the rear lock striker:
- Check that the door fit and door linkages are adjusted correctly.
- Loosen the striker mounting bolts to adjust.
- Using a plastic headed hammer, tap the striker to adjust.