All Previa van drive axles (front and rear) use Grade GL-4 or GL-5 with the viscosity of SAE75W-90 gear oil.
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Visually check the area around the fill and drain plugs of the axle.
- Clean the areas, the remove the fill plug.
It is always a good idea to remove the fill plug before the drain plug. In case the plug is stripped or stuck and you are left with an empty axle and no way to install fresh fluid.
- If the lubricant begins to trickle out of the hole, there is enough. Otherwise, carefully insert your finger (watch out for sharp threads!) and check to see if the oil is up to the edge of the hole.
- If not, add oil through the hole until the level is at the edge of the hole. Most gear lubricants come in a plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle; making additions simple.
- Install the filler plug and tighten it to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) on the front and 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) for the rear axle. Check for leaks.
DRAIN & REFILL
See Figures 4 through 9
- The axle oil should be hot before it is drained. If the engine is at normal operating temperature, the oil should be hot enough.
- Raise the van and support it properly on jackstands so that you can safely work underneath. You will probably not have enough room to work if the van is not raised.
- Remove the filler plug from the back of the gear housing. There will be a gasket underneath this plug. Replace it if damaged.
- The drain plug is located on the bottom of the gear case. Place a pan under the drain plug and remove it. Keep a slight inward pressure on the plug while unscrewing it, this will keep the oil from pouring out until the plug is removed.
- Allow the oil to drain completely. Clean off the plug and replace it, tightening it to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm).
- Fill the gear housing with gear oil through the filler plug hole as detailed previously.
- The oil level should come right up to the edge of the hole. You can stick your finger in to verify this. Watch out for sharp threads.
- Install the filler plug and gasket, tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm) on front housings and 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) on rears. Lower the van, and check for leaks. Dispose of the old oil in the proper manner.