All Previa van manual transmissions use Grade GL-4 or GL-5 with the viscosity of SAE75W-90 gear oil.
See Figure 1
The oil in the manual transmission should be checked at least every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and replaced every 25,000-30,000 miles (40,000-48,000 km), even more frequently if driven in deep water.
- With the vehicle parked on a level surface, remove the filler plug from the transmission housing.
- If the lubricant begins to trickle out of the hole, there is enough. Otherwise, carefully insert your finger (watch out for sharp threads!) and check to see if the oil is up to the edge of the hole.
- If not, add oil through the hole until the level is at the edge of the hole. Most gear lubricants come in a plastic squeeze bottle with a nozzle; making additions simple.
- Replace the filler plug and tighten it to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm). Run the engine and check for leaks.
DRAIN & REFILL
See Figure 2
- The transmission oil should be hot before it is drained. If the engine is at normal operating temperature, the transmission oil should be hot enough.
- Raise the car and support it properly on jackstands so that you can safely work underneath. You will probably not have enough room to work if the van is not raised.
- The drain plug is located on the bottom of the transmission. Place a pan under the drain plug and remove it. Keep a slight upward pressure on the plug while unscrewing it, this will keep the oil from pouring out until the plug is removed.
- Allow the oil to drain completely, this may take several minutes. Clean off the plug and replace it, tightening it until it is just snug 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
- Remove the filler plug from the side of the transmission case. It is on the front side. There is usually a gasket underneath this plug. Replace it if damaged.
- Fill the transmission, with the proper lubricant, through the filler plug hole. Refer to the Capacities chart for the amount of oil needed to refill your transmission.
- The oil level should come right up to the edge of the hole. You can stick your finger in to verify this. Watch out for sharp threads!
- Replace the filler plug and gasket and tighten to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm). Lower the van, and check for leaks. Dispose of the old oil in the proper manner.