REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 6
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle securely on jackstands.
- If equipped, remove the speed sensor.
- Remove the front brake caliper and disc.
- Place a dial indicator near the center of the axle hub and check the backlash in the bearing shaft direction. maximum is 0.0020 inch (0.05mm). If the specification is greater than the specified amount, replace the hub.
- Install the brake disc and caliper, the remove the cotter in and lock cap.
- Have an assistant apply the brakes and remove the nut.
- Remove the caliper and disc.
- Loosen the 2 nuts on the lower side of the shock absorber.
Do not remove the bolts!
- Loosen the bolts for the lower ball joint. Once again, do not remove them.
- Disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle. Discard the cotter pin.
A puller will be needed to separate the tie rod end from the knuckle.
Remove the 2 bolts on the lower ball joint and disconnect the steering knuckle.
- Remove the 2 nuts and bolts on the lower side of the shock absorber.
- Remove the steering knuckle with the axle hub.
Be careful not to damage the speed sensor rotor (on models with ABS), oil seal and drive shaft boot.
- Using a puller, remove the axle hub.
- With a press, remove the bearing from the axle hub. Remove the oil seal from the axle hub.