REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 through 15
Some of the parking brake assembly springs are color coded green, blue, white. The remainder of the springs have no color. Make sure that all springs are installed in their proper locations.
- Loosen the rear wheel lugs slightly and raise the rear of the vehicle and support it safely. Remove the rear wheels.
- Remove the two mounting bolts and disconnect the rear disc brake assembly. Suspend the disc with wire from the strut spring or a convenient location on the body.
- Place matchmarks on the axle hub and disc, then pull the disc from the hub. If the disc is stubborn, return the shoe adjuster until the wheel spins freely, and remove the disc.
- Using a suitable spring tool, remove the return springs.
- Remove the hold-down spring, cups and pin on each side.
- Remove the shoe strut with the adjuster spring.
- Slide the front shoe out and remove the adjuster. Unhook the tension spring and remove the front shoe.
- Slide the rear shoe out and remove the tension spring. Disconnect the parking brake cable from the lever..
- Lubricate all shoe sliding surfaces of the backing plate and the threads and head of the adjuster with a high temperature Lithium grease or equivalent.
- Connect the parking brake cable to the to the rear shoe lever. Install the shoe hold down springs, cups and pins.
- Slide the rear shoe in between the hold down spring cup and the backing plate.
- Hook the one end of the tension spring to the rear shoe and connect the front shoe to the other end of the spring. Install the adjuster between the front and rear shoes. Slide the front shoe in between the hold down spring cup and the backing plate.
- Install the strut so that the spring end is forward.
- Install the front and then the rear return springs using the removal tool.
- Before installing the disc, lightly polish the disc and shoe surfaces with a fine grit emery cloth. Position the rotor disc onto the axle hub so that the hole on the rear axle shaft is aligned with the service hole on the disc.
- Adjust the parking brake shoe clearance, then settle the parking brake shoes and disc.
- Attach the disc brake assembly to the backing plate and tighten the bolt to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Install the rear wheels and lower the vehicle.
After the brake disc is installed, the parking brake shoe clearance must be adjusted.
- Temporarily install the lug nuts.
- Remove the adjuster hole plug.
- Using a brake tool, turn the adjuster and expand the shoes until the disc locks.
- Return the adjuster eight notches.
- Install the hole plug.
- Install the rear brake caliper assembly, remove the lugnuts.
- Install the rear wheel.
Settle the parking brake shoes and disc as follows:
- Drive the vehicle at about 321 mph (50 km) on a safe, level and dry road.
- With the parking brake release button pushed in, pull on the lever with 20 lb. (88N) of force.
- Drive the vehicle for about 1 / 4 miles (400 meters) in this condition.
- Repeate the procedure 2 or 3 times.
- Recheck and adjust the parking brake lever travel.