See Figures 1 through 9
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Remove the right side seat and engine service hole cover as follows:
- Remove the three screws and the scuff plate.
- Unbolt and disconnect the right seat belt from the front floor panel.
- Remove the four bolts holding the right front seat.
- Remove the two bolts and the right front seat leg.
- Remove the jack, the jack stand and the tool bag.
- Remove the engine service hole cover.
- Remove the No. 2 cylinder head cover with the gasket.
- Remove the PCV hose and disconnect the four spark plug wires from the spark plugs.
- Remove the No. 2 cord clamp support plate.
- Remove the No. 1 cylinder head cover and the gasket.
- Install a bolt 12mm x 1.25mm and nut to the equipment drive shaft.
Set the No. 1 cylinder to TDC in the compression stroke.
- Turn the equipment drive shaft with a wrench to align the timing marks at TDC. Set the groove on the crankshaft pulley to the 0 position.
- Check that the valve lifters on the No. 1 cylinder are loose and the valve lifters on the No. 4 are tight. If not, turn the equipment drive shaft one complete revolution and align the marks as above.
Inspect the valve clearance.
- Measure the clearance between the valve lifter and the camshaft. Measure the first and second intake and the first and third exhaust valves.
- Turn the equipment drive shaft one revolution (360°) and align the marks as above. Measure the third and fourth intake and the second and fourth exhaust valves.
Valve clearance cold should be:
Intake: 0.006-0.010 inch (0.15-0.25mm)
Adjust the valve clearance by using adjusting shims.
- Turn the equipment drive shaft so that the cam lobe for the valve to be adjusted faces up.
- Usinga retaining tool (SST 09248-05410) or equivalent, press down the valve lifter and place SST 09248-05420 or equivalent, between the camshaft and the valve lifter. Remove SST 09248-55040.
- Remove the adjusting shim with a small flat prying tool and a magnetic finger.
- Determine the replacement adjusting shim size according to the following formula, or use the adjusting shim charts.
Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removed shim. Calculate the thickness of a new shim so that the valve clearance comes within the specified value.
T: Thickness of the removed shim
- Intake: N=T+ (A-0.008 inch (0.20mm)
- Exhaust: N=T+ (A-0.012 inch (0.30mm)
- Install a new adjusting shim. Place it on the valve lifter. Using the SST 09248-05410, press down the valve lifter and remove SST 09248-05420.
- Recheck the valve clearance.
- After adjustments have been made, remove the equipment drive shaft bolt and nut. If not removed, the bolt head will hit and damage the cooling fan.
- Install the No. 1 cylinder head cover bolts in the sequence. Torque to 6 ft. lbs. (8 Nm).
- Install the No. 2 cord clamp support plate and tighten the bolt to 3.7 ft. lbs. (5 Nm).
- Connect the spark plug wires. Install the PCV hose.
Install the No. 2 cylinder head cover and tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the right engine service hole cover and tighten the bolts to 10 ft. lbs. (14 Nm).
- Install the jack holder, the jack and the tool bag.
- Install the bolts holding the right front seat leg and tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the right front seat and tighten the bolts to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Install the bolt holding the seat belt to the front floor panel and tighten to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Install the scuff plate.