REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Remove the battery from the vehicle.
- Raise the vehicle and support safely.
- Remove the front wheels.
- Remove the engine undercovers.
- Remove the cotter pins and the nuts to the tie rod ends.
- Using a separator tool, disconnect the tie rod ends from the steering knuckle.
- Place matchmarks on the universal joint and steering column shaft.
- Remove the lower bolt and loosen the upper bolt to the sliding yoke. Slide the yoke upward to disconnect the sliding yoke from the rack and pinion.
- Disconnect the pressure and return pipes using a line wrench.
- If equipped with 4WD, remove the front differential assembly.
- Remove the equipment drive housing No. 2 insulator and equipment drive housing No. 3 stay by removing the two bolts and three nuts.
- On some vehicles, remove the bracket bolts and grommets. Turn the housing toward the back side and slide the housing to the right side. Put the left tie rod end in the body panel.
On 1995-97 vehicles, remove the bolt and disconnect the clamp from the rack housing.
- Remove the four bracket bolts and the brackets from the steering rack.
- Pull the housing out through the opening in the left side of the body.
- On 1995-97 vehicles, remove the grommets from the steering rack.
On 1994 vehicles, install the gear housing and tighten the mounting bolts to 56 ft. lbs. (76 Nm).
- On 1994 4WD, install the front differential assembly, equipment driveshaft housing insulator and drive housing stay.
- Connect the pressure and return pipes using flarenut wrenches. Tighten the fittings to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
On 1995-97 vehicles, install the grommets to the rack and pinion.
- Install the gear housing and tighten the mounting bolts to 70 ft. lbs. (95 Nm).
- Connect the power steering lines to the power steering rack and pinion. Tighten the steering lines to 27 ft. lbs. (36 Nm).
- Install the bolt to hold the clamp and power steering lines to the steering rack.
- Install the equipment drive housing No. 2 insulator and equipment drive housing No. 3 stay by installing the two bolts and three nuts. Tighten the bolts to 13 ft. lbs. (18 Nm) and the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
The following steps are for all vehicles unless otherwise specified.
- Install the lower bolt to the sliding yoke. Tighten the upper and lower bolts to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
- On 1995-97 vehicles, 4WD only: install the front differential assembly.
- Connect the tie rod ends to the steering knuckle and tighten the nuts to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm). Install a new cotter pin.
- Install the engine undercovers.
- Install the battery to the vehicle.
- Install the front wheels and lower the vehicle.
- Perform a front end alignment.