REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
The 1991 models are the only Previa vans that are not equipped with an air bag.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Position the front wheels straight ahead.
- Unfasten the horn and turn signal multi-connector(s) at the base of the steering column shroud.
- Loosen the trim pad retaining screws from the back side of the steering wheel. Remove the pad by lifting it toward the top of the wheel.
- Lift the trim pad and horn button assembly from the wheel.
- Remove the steering wheel hub retaining nut.
- Scribe matchmarks on the hub and shaft to aid in correct installation.
- Use a suitable puller to remove the steering wheel.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Tighten the wheel retaining nut to 26 ft. lbs. (35 Nm).
See Figures 2 through 15
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 90 seconds once the cable is removed before proceeding.
- Position the wheels straight ahead.
- Loosen and remove the steering wheel center cover (pad) retaining screws, if equipped. There will be a trim panel on the side of the steering wheel to be removed to access the pad bolts.
- Pull the center cover pad from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag wiring.
When storing the wheel pad (vehicles equipped with air bag), keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
- Disconnect the horn wire. Matchmark the wheel and the shaft.
- Using an appropriate steering wheel puller tool (09609-20011 or equivalent), remove the steering wheel.
- Center the spiral cable.
- Align the matchmarks on the steering wheel and main shaft and install the steering wheel to the shaft. Install and tighten the retaining nut to approximately 25 ft. lbs (34 Nm).
- If equipped, connector the air bag harness.
- Connect the horn wire and install the steering wheel pad. Confirm that the circumference groove of the Torx screws is caught on the screw case. Tighten the four Torx screws on the wheel pad to 65 inch lbs. (7 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the steering wheel center point after installation.
Do not attempt to remove or install the steering wheel by hammering on it. Damage to the energy-absorbing steering column could result.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the steering wheel screw covers.
- Using a Torx®, loosen the screws until the groove trailing the screw circumference catches on the case.
- Pull the wheel pad out from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag wiring. Store the wheel pad with the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
- Remove the steering wheel nut. Place matchmarks on the wheel and steering shaft.
- Using a steering wheel puller, remove the steering wheel.
- Install the steering wheel to the vehicle and making sure to align the matchmarks. Install and tighten the nut to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Connect the air bag connector and install the steering pad.
- Tighten the Torx® screws to exactly 78 inch lbs. (9 Nm).
- Install the screw covers.
- Connect the battery cable and check operation.