REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Remove the transmission and transfer case assembly from the vehicle.
Have a pan ready to catch any spilt fluid.
- Remove the bolt attaching the speedometer driven gear cable and set the cable aside.
- If necessary, disconnect and remove the No. 1 and No. 2 speed sensors.
- If necessary, remove the speedometer driven gear.
- Unbolt the transfer from the transmission.
- If necessary, remove the transfer adapter. Remove the six bolts and the adapter. It may be necessary to tap the adapter with a plastic hammer to loosen it. Discard the gasket.
- If removed, install the transfer adapter with a new gasket. Apply sealant such as Three bond 1344 or Locktite 242 or equivalent. Tighten the bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm).
- Attach the transfer case to the transmission. Tighten the bolts to 27-37 ft. lbs. (36-50 Nm).
- Attach the speedometer cable and tighten the bolt to 33 ft. lbs. (45 Nm).
- If removed, install the speedometer gear and the No. 1 and No. 2 speed sensors.
- Replace any necessary seals or gaskets. Install the transfer/transmission assembly into the vehicle.