Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the negative battery cable to prevent possible airbag and seat belt pretensioner activation.
- Remove front wheel.
- Remove front wipers and front wiper motor link assembly.
- Remove the bolt and disconnect the ABS speed sensor wire harness clamp.
- Remove the bolt and disconnect the flexible hose from the shock absorber bracket.
- Place a wooden block on a jack, and support the front suspension lower No. 1 arm with the jack.
Remove the nut and separate the front stabilizer link from the strut assembly.
NOTEUse a hexagon wrench to hold the stud if the ball joint turns together with the nut.
- Remove the 2 nuts on the lower side of the front strut assembly, but keep the bolts inserted.
- Remove the 3 nuts from the top of the strut assembly.
Lower the jack slowly. Remove the 2 bolts on the lower side and the front strut assembly.
NOTEEnsure that the speed sensor front LH is completely disconnected from the front shock absorber with coil spring.
Separate the coil spring from the strut assembly as follows:
- Install 2 nuts and a bolt to the bracket at the lower side of the shock absorber and secure it in a vise.
- Using SST 09727-30021, compress the coil spring.
- Remove the cap from the suspension support.
- Using SST 09729-22031 to hold the spring seat, remove the nut.
- Remove the suspension support, dust seal, spring seat, upper insulator, coil spring, spring bumper and lower insulator.
Install the coil spring by assembling the strut assembly as follows:
- Install the lower insulator onto the strut.
- Install the spring bumper to piston rod.
- Using SST 09727-30021, compress the coil spring. Do not use an impact wrench. It will damage the SST.
- Install the coil spring to the shock absorber, fitting the lower end of the coil spring into the gap of the spring lower seat.
Install the upper insulator.
- Install the spring seat to the shock absorber with the arrow mark facing to the outside of the vehicle.
- Install the dust seal and suspension support.
- Using SST 09729-22031 to hold the suspension support, install a new nut and torque to 34 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
- Remove the tool.
- Apply MP grease No.2 into the suspension support. Do not touch grease on rubber surface of upper support.
- Install the cap.
- Install the strut assembly to the steering knuckle and tighten the steering knuckle-to-strut assembly nuts and the bolts to 113 ft. lbs. (153 Nm)
- Connect the stabilizer shaft link to strut assembly and tighten the stabilizer link-to-strut assembly nut to 55 ft. lbs. (74 Nm)
- Install the flexible brake hose to the shock absorber bracket.
- Connect the ABS speed sensor wire harness clamp.
- Install the front wiper motor link assembly and the front wipers.
- Install the front wheel.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Install the nuts securing the strut assembly to the body of the vehicle and tighten to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Connect the negative battery cable.