- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain transaxle fluid.
- After draining the fluid, tighten the drain plug, along with a new gasket to 29 ft. lbs. (39 Nm).
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the front wheel.
- Unstake the axle hub nut and using a 30mm socket, remove the axle hub nut.
- Remove the bolt and disconnect the speed sensor wire and flexible hose clamp from the strut.
Remove the bolt and front speed sensor from the steering knuckle.
NOTEKeep both the tip and installation part of the speed sensor free of foreign matter.
- Remove the clip, castle nut and disconnect the tie rod end from the steering knuckle.
- Remove the bolt, 2 nuts and disconnect the front lower ball joint from the front lower suspension arm.
- Using a plastic-faced hammer, tap the end of the front drive shaft and disengage the fitting between the front drive shaft and front axle. If it is difficult to disengage, tap the end of the front drive shaft LH with a brass bar and hammer.
Push the front axle outward from the vehicle to remove the front drive shaft from the front axle. Be careful not to push the front axle outward from the vehicle more than necessary to remove it.
NOTEBe careful not to damage the rubber boots. Hang the drive shaft down with a string or equivalent.
- Remove the front fender apron seal.
Hook the SST 09520-01010 and 09520-24010 claw in position to remove the front drive shaft.
CAUTIONBe careful not to damage the oil seal. Be careful not to damage the front drive shaft boot. Be careful not to drop the front drive shaft.
- Check for noticeable looseness when turning the joint up and down, left and right, and in the thrust direction.
Check for cracks, damage or grease leaks on the joint boot.
NOTECarry the drive shaft levelly.
- Apply ATF to the spline of the inboard joint.
Align the spline of the front drive shaft and insert the front drive shaft using a brass bar and hammer.
NOTEFace the snap ring cut area downward. Be careful not to damage the oil seal. Be careful not to damage the front drive shaft boot.
- Install the front fender apron seal.
- Install the front drive shaft dust cover (right drive shaft).
- Push the front axle outward from the vehicle to align the spline of the front drive shaft with the front axle and insert.
- Connect the front suspension lower arm to the front lower ball joint and tighten the bolt and 2 nuts to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm) for 2002-03 models, and 66 ft. lbs. (89 Nm) for 2004-06 models.
Connect the tie rod end to the steering knuckle and install it with the castle nut. Torque the castle nut to 36 ft. lbs. (49 Nm) and install a new cotter pin.
NOTEThe cotter pin hole alignment should be done after tightening the castle nut up to 60 degrees beyond the torque specification.
- Connect the front speed sensor wire and flexible hose clamp to the strut with the bolt.
- Install the front speed sensor to the steering knuckle and tighten the bolt to 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
- Using a 30mm socket wrench, install a new hub nut and tighten to 159 ft. lbs. (216 Nm).
- Using a chisel and hammer, stake the hub nut.
- Install the front wheel.
- Refill the transaxle fluid to the proper level.
- Connect the negative battery cable.
- Check the front wheel alignment.
- Check the ABS speed sensor signal.