Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the rear of the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheels.
- Put match marks on the rear brake drum and the axle hub.
- Release the parking brake and remove the brake drum.
If the brake drum cannot be removed easily, do the following steps.
- Remove the plug and insert a screwdriver through the hole in the backing plate.
- Using another screwdriver, reduce the brake shoe adjuster by turning the adjusting wheel.
- Aligning the match marks, install the brake drum.
Adjust the drum brake shoe clearance as follows:
- Temporarily install 2 hub nuts.
- Remove the hole plug, and turn the adjuster to expand the shoe until the drum locks up.
- Rotate the adjuster back by 8 notches.
- Install the hole plug.
- Remove the 2 hub nuts.
- Install the wheel. Torque the wheel lugs to 76 ft. lbs. (103 Nm).
- Lower the vehicle.
- Check brake fluid level in the reservoir and add to proper level with clean brake fluid, if necessary.