- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions in the beginning of this section.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the engine coolant.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Set the No. 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center (TDC) of the compression stroke, as follows:
- Turn the crankshaft pulley clockwise and align its groove with the 0 mark on the timing chain cover.
Check that the timing marks (1 and 2 dots) of the camshaft drive and driven gears are in a straight line on the cylinder head surface. If not, turn the crankshaft 1 revolution (360 degrees) and align the marks.
Inspect the valve clearance, as follows:
- Measure the clearance between the valve lifter and the camshaft. Measure the 1st intake and the 3rd exhaust valves on the right head and the 6th intake and the 2nd exhaust valves on the left head.
- Turn the crankshaft 2 / 3 of a revolution (240 degrees) and adjust the 3rd intake and the 5th exhaust valves on the right head and the 2nd intake and the 4th exhaust valves on the left head.
- Turn the crankshaft 2 / 3 of a revolution (240 degrees) and adjust the 5th intake and the 1st exhaust valves on the right head and the 4th intake and the 6th exhaust valves on the left head.
Valve clearance cold should be:
Adjust the valve clearance by using adjusting shims, as follows:
- Turn the equipment camshaft so that the cam lobe for the valve to be adjusted faces up.
- Turn the valve lifter so that the notches are perpendicular to the camshaft.
- Using SST 09248-55040, press down the valve lifter and place SST 09248-05420, between the camshaft and the valve lifter. Remove SST 09248-55040.
- Remove the adjusting shim with a small flat prying tool and a magnetic finger.
- Determine the replacement adjusting shim size according to the following formula or use the adjusting shim charts.
Using a micrometer, measure the thickness of the removed shim. Calculate the thickness of a new shim so that the valve clearance comes within the specified value.
T: Thickness of the removed shim
- Intake: N = T + (A-0.007 in. (0.18mm))
- Exhaust: N = T + (A-0.013 in. (0.32mm))
- Install a new adjusting shim. Place it on the valve lifter. Using the SST 09248-55040, press down the valve lifter and remove SST 09248-05420.
- Recheck the valve clearance.
Install or connect the following:
Cylinder head cover
- Refill with engine coolant.
- Start the engine and check for leaks.