Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
- Discharge the air conditioning system. Drain the engine coolant.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEWait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the negative battery cable before starting any repair work to prevent air bag and seat belt pretensioner activation.
- Disconnect and plug the refrigerant lines at the evaporator. Disconnect the heater hoses at the heater core.
Using a Torx socket, loosen the two torx screws at the wheel pad. Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag connector. Remove the wheel pad.
NOTEIf the air bag connector is disconnected with the ignition switch -ON-, DTC-s will be recorded. When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward. Never disassemble the wheel pad. When removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the air bag wire harness.
- Disconnect the connector. Matchmark the steering wheel. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Using the proper removal tool, remove the steering wheel.
- Remove the door scuff plate. Remove the cowl side trim. Remove the number one switch hole base.
- Remove the three screws and disconnect the connector. Using a pry tool, pry out the lower finish panel.
- Remove the four bolts and then remove the lower panel insert.
- Remove the three screws and the lower column cover. Disconnect the column upper cover from the column tube and remove it.
Disconnect the airbag connector from the spiral cable. Disconnect the three connectors from the spiral cable, light control switch and headlight dimmer/wiper/washer switch. Release the three claws and remove the spiral cable.
NOTEDo not disassemble the spiral cable or apply oil to it.
- Push the claw and pull out the light control switch and the headlight dimmer switch. Push the claw and pull out the wiper/washer switch.
- Using a pry tool, remove the cluster finish panel.
To remove the combination meter, push out the connector by loosening the two bolts. Check that the red colored indicator goes back as indicated in the illustration. Remove the four screws.
NOTEThe operation is complete when the bolt fails to catch.
- Remove the attaching screws, then using a pry tool, remove the instrument cluster finish panel center number one and number two.
- Remove the two screws. Using a pry tool, pry out the finish panel. Remove the four bolts and move the radio forward. Disconnect the radio connectors and remove the radio from its mounting.
Remove the number one instrument panel undercover subassembly. Disconnect the heater control cables.
NOTEWhen the cables are disconnected, be careful not to bend the cables.
- Remove the two screws. Using a pry tool, pry out the heater control assembly from its mounting.
- Remove the two screws. Using a pry tool, pry out the instrument panel cluster finish center panel then disconnect the connector.
- If equipped with manual transaxle, remove the shift lever knob. Using a pry tool, pry out the center console panel.
- Remove the two bolts, two screws and rear console box. Disconnect the connector.
- Remove the six screws and the front console box. Using a pry tool, carefully pry out the console box, toward the passenger-s side of the vehicle.
- Remove the number one and number two instrument panel undercovers. Remove the glove box. Remove the instrument side panel.
- Disconnect the hood lock control cable. Remove the four bolts and the left instrument panel lower insert.
- Remove the two bolts and disconnect the main shaft lower dust cover.
- Disconnect the number two intermediate shaft assembly.
- Place matchmarks on the number two intermediate shaft assembly and the steering intermediate extension.
Loosen the bolt -A- and remove the bolt -B-. Disconnect the number two intermediate shaft assembly. Remove the main shaft lower dust cover.
- Disconnect the connectors and the wire harness clamps from the steering column assembly.
- Remove the three steering column retaining bolts.
- Place matchmarks on the sliding yoke and main shaft assembly. Place matchmarks on the sliding yoke and number two intermediate shaft.
Remove bolt -A- and the number two intermediate shaft assembly. Remove bolt -B- and the sliding yoke.
Remove the front pillar garnish.
NOTEIf the vehicle is equipped with curtain shield airbag, cover the airbag with cloth or a piece of nylon approximately 27.56 inch by 4.72 inch. Install the ends of the cover with tape, as shown in the illustration. Cover the curtain shield airbag with the protective cover as soon as the pillar garnish is removed.
Disconnect the instrument panel electrical connectors. Disconnect the wire harness clamps. Remove the four screws, two nuts and eight bolts. Remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the sliding yoke to number intermediate shaft retaining bolt to 26 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the three steering column retaining bolts to 15 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the number two intermediate shaft assembly retaining bolt to 26 ft. lbs.
To center the spiral cable, check that the front wheels are in the straight ahead position. Turn the cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes hard to turn. Then rotate the cable clockwise about 2.5 turns to align the marks.
NOTEThe cable will rotate about 2.5 turns to either left or right of the center.