Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Drain the axle housing gear fluid.
- Matchmark the flange of the driveshaft and halfshafts to the flanges on the axle housing.
- Remove the nuts securing the halfshafts to the axle housing and secure them with wire out of the way.
- Remove the nuts securing the driveshaft to the axle housing and secure it with wire out of the way,
- Support the axle housing, then remove the 2 rear mounting bolts.
Remove the 2 front mounting bolts and carefully remove the axle housing from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of removal. Be sure to properly fill the axle housing with gear fluid. Observe the following:
- 2000 front mounting bolts: 98 ft. lbs. (132 Nm)
- 2001-2005 front mounting bolts: 86 ft. lbs. (117 Nm).
- Rear mounting bolts: 48 ft. lbs. (65 Nm)
- Driveshaft mounting nuts: 54 ft. lbs. (74 Nm).