Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Properly relieve the fuel system pressure.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEWait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the negative battery cable before starting any repair work to prevent air bag and seat belt pretensioner activation.
- Remove the front floor carpet.
- Disconnect the number two parking brake cable assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel tank main tube assembly.
- Disconnect the fuel tank to filler pipe hose.
- Disconnect the fuel tank breather hose.
- Remove the fuel tank filler pipe.
- Position a suitable jack under the fuel tank. Remove the six bolts and three fuel tank bands.
Slightly lower the suitable jack.
NOTEBe careful not to cut the wing nuts.
- Fold back about half of each cushion rubber so that the wire harness can be detached.
- Disconnect the fuel pump connector and sender gauge connector.
- Detach the wire harness from the four clamps. Carefully remove the fuel tank from the vehicle.
- Remove the stabilizer bar links. Remove the stabilizer bracket bolt, rubber insulators and brackets.
- Remove the stabilizer bar from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
- Tighten the stabilizer bar links to 32 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the stabilizer bracket and bushing bolts to 14 ft. lbs.
- Be sure to install the bushing so that the cutoff will face the lower point. Install the bushing to the inside of the paint line.
- Tighten the fuel tank retaining bolts to 30 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the fuel tank filler pipe bolts to 17 ft. lbs.
- Start the engine and check for leaks. Correct as required.