- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Position the front wheels in the straight ahead position.
Disconnect the negative battery cable.
NOTEWait at least 90 seconds after disconnecting the negative battery cable before starting any repair work to prevent air bag and seat belt pretensioner activation.
- Disconnect and plug the refrigerant lines at the evaporator. Disconnect the heater hoses at the heater core.
Using a torx socket, loosen the two torx screws at the wheel pad. Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel and disconnect the air bag connector. Remove the wheel pad.
NOTEIf the air bag connector is disconnected with the ignition switch -ON-, DTC-s will be recorded. When storing the wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward. Never disassemble the wheel pad. When removing the wheel pad, take care not to pull the air bag wire harness.
- Disconnect the connector. Matchmark the steering wheel. Remove the steering wheel retaining nut. Using the proper removal tool, remove the steering wheel.
To center the spiral cable, check that the front wheels are in the straight ahead position. Turn the cable counterclockwise by hand until it becomes hard to turn. Then rotate the cable clockwise about 2.5 turns to align the marks.
NOTEThe cable will rotate about 2.5 turns to either left or right of the center.
- Tighten the steering wheel locknut to 35 ft. lbs.
- Tighten the wheel pad retaining screws to 78 inch lbs.