Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the engine undercover.
- Drain the differential oil.
Remove or disconnect the following:
- Install a new oil seal, to a depth of 0.059 in. (1.5mm) below the lip, using a seal driver.
- Lubricate the seal lip with multi-purpose grease.
Install or connect the following:
Companion flange, coat the threads with multi-purpose grease
Measure the bearing preload, using a torque wrench. The correct preload should be 5-9 inch lbs. (0.6-1.0 Nm) for a used bearing or 10-17 inch lbs. (1-2 Nm) for a new bearing.
NOTEIf the preload is greater that specified, replace the bearing spacer. If the preload is less than specified, tighten the companion flange nut in 108 inch lbs. (13 Nm) increments until the correct preload is achieved. Maximum torque for the nut is 173 ft. lbs. (235 Nm). If the value is exceeded, the bearing spacer must be replaced; do not back off the flange nut to lower the torque or preload.
- Install the front driveshaft by aligning the matchmarks.
- Check the companion flange run-out; maximum allowable run-out is 0.003 in. (0.10mm).
- Stake the pinion flange nut.
- Refill the differential with oil.