Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
Remove or disconnect the following:
Rear driveshaft by matchmarking it
- Install a new oil seal, to a depth of 0.039 in. (1.0mm) below the lip, using a seal driver.
- Lubricate the seal lip with multi-purpose grease.
Install or connect the following:
Companion flange, coat the threads with multi-purpose grease
Measure the bearing preload, using a torque wrench. The correct preload should be 8-11 inch lbs. (0.9-1.2 Nm) for a 2 spider gear differential or to 4-7 inch lbs. (0.4-0.8 Nm) for a 4 spider gear differential.
NOTEIf the preload is greater that specified, replace the bearing spacer. If the preload is less than specified, tighten the companion flange nut in 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm) increments until the correct preload is achieved. Maximum torque for the nut is 325 ft. lbs. (441 Nm). If the value is exceeded, the bearing spacer must be replaced; do not back off the flange nut to lower the torque or preload.
- Stake the pinion flange nut.
- Install the rear driveshaft by aligning the matchmarks.