Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the rear wheel(s).
- Remove the brake drum from the axle hub. If there is difficulty in removing the drum, insert a suitable tool through the hole in the rear of the backing plate, and hold the automatic adjusting lever away from the adjuster. Using another suitable tool at the same time, reduce the brake shoe adjuster by turning the adjusting wheel.
- Install the brake drum and pull the parking brake lever all the way up until a clicking sound can no longer be heard.
- Verify that the rear wheels will not turn. If the rear wheels turn, adjust the parking brake cable as necessary.
- Release the parking brake and remove the brake drum. Measure the brake drum inside diameter and diameter of the brake shoes. Check that the difference between the diameters is the correct shoe clearance. Clearance is 0.024 inch (6mm) for 2001-2004 vehicles and 0.020 inch (5mm) for 2005-2006 vehicles.
- If the brake shoe clearance is not correct, adjust the brake shoes until the clearance is correct.
- Install the brake drum, replace the wheel(s), and safely lower the vehicle.
- Road-test the vehicle for proper brake operation.