The reverse or back-up light function is controlled by the neutral safety switch. When the switch is properly adjusted, the white lamps at the rear will only come on when the car is in reverse.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the bolt/nut attaching the manual lever to the control shaft, then remove the lever.
- Unplug the electrical connector, then remove the switch attaching bolts.
- Install the switch, then engage the electrical connection.
- Connect the manual lever to the control shaft, then adjust the switch.
- Check for proper operation.
See Figure 1
- Move the shift selector to the N position.
- Locate the neutral safety switch on the side of the transaxle, then loosen the switch retaining bolts.
- Align the groove on the safety switch shaft with the line which is scribed on the housing. Hold the switch position, then tighten the switch bolt(s) to 9 ft. lbs. (13 Nm) on wagons and 1984-1986 sedans or 48 inch lbs. (5.4 Nm) on 1987-1994 sedans.
- Check the switch for proper operation.