REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the vehicle and safely support it with jackstands.
- Matchmark the driveshaft and companion flanges, then unfasten the bolts which attach the flanges to the differential.
- Remove the bolts attaching the center support bearing to the body. Some vehicles may use height washers between the bearing and the body. Make a note as to their location for proper installation later.
- Pull driveshaft assembly out from the transaxle. Insert SST 09325-12010 or an equivalent extension housing plug into the transaxle to prevent fluid leakage.
- Apply multi-purpose grease to the outside diameter and splines of the yoke. Remove the SST, then install the driveshaft assembly into the transaxle.
- Align the matchmarks on the flanges, then connect them with the attaching bolts/nuts. Torque the nuts to 31 ft. lbs. (42 Nm).
- Connect the center support bearing to the body. Remember to place the height washers between the body and bearing, if applicable. Install the two mount bolts finger-tight.
- Check that the bearing bracket is at right angles to the driveshaft. Adjust, if necessary.
- Check that the center line of the bearing is set to the center line of the bracket. The vehicle should not have a load in it. Adjust, if necessary.
- Torque the bolts to 27 ft. lbs. (37 Nm).
The U-joints on 4WD Tercels are not serviceable, the intermediate shaft and/or propeller shaft must be replaced in the event of U-joint failure.