REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 33A and 3A-C Engines
Please refer to the Combination Manifold procedure in this section.3E and 3E-E Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove any components necessary to gain access to the exhaust manifold retaining bolts.
- Disconnect the exhaust manifold bolts at the exhaust pipe. Disconnect the oxygen sensor electrical wire. It may be necessary to raise and support the vehicle safely before removing these bolts.
- Remove the three external heat insulator attaching bolts.
- Remove the six exhaust manifold retaining nuts. Remove the exhaust manifold, internal heat insulator and gaskets from the vehicle.
- Using a precision straight edge and thickness gauge, check the surface contacting the cylinder head for warpage. It should not exceed 0.0118 in. (0.30mm). If the warpage exceeds these specifications, replace the manifold.
- Install a new exhaust manifold gasket, the E mark on the gasket must face outward.
- Assemble the internal heat insulator and exhaust manifold onto the engine. Tighten the nuts, refer to the torque specifications chart in this section.
- Install the external heat insulator and tighten the bolts until snug.
- Connect the exhaust pipe to the manifold.
- Install or connect any other components removed earlier.
- Start the engine and check for exhaust leaks. Road test for proper operation.