REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
On models equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) or "air bag,'' work must NOT be started until at least 90 seconds have passed from the time that both the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative cable is disconnected from the battery.
3A and 3A-C Engines
Please refer to the Combination Manifold procedure in this section.3E and 3E-E Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On 3E-E engines, relieve the fuel pressure.
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
When draining the coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted by ethylene glycol antifreeze, and are quite likely to drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantity. Always drain the coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or several years old.
- Tag and disconnect all wires, hoses or cables that interfere with intake manifold removal.
- Remove any other components necessary in order to gain access to the intake manifold attaching nuts and bolts.
- Remove the intake manifold stay.
- If necessary, remove the carburetor.
- Disconnect the intake manifold water hoses.
- Remove the five intake manifold retaining bolts and two nuts. Remove the gasket and intake manifold from the vehicle.
- Using a precision straight edge and thickness gauge, check the surface contacting the cylinder head for warpage. It should not exceed 0.0020 in. (0.05mm) on 3E-E engines or 0.0079 in. (0.20mm) on 3E engines. If the warpage exceeds these specifications, replace the manifold.
- Install a new intake manifold gasket to the cylinder head.
- Install the intake manifold then torque the nuts and bolts to specification. Work from the center to the ends in steps.
- Connect all hoses, wires or cables which were removed earlier.
- Install the carburetor, if applicable.
- Install the manifold stay and the air cleaner assembly.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and roadtest for proper operation.