REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3 and 4
3A and 3A-C Engines
Please refer to the Combination Manifold procedure in this section.3E and 3E-E Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. On 3E-E engines, relieve the fuel pressure.
- Drain the cooling system. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
- Tag and disconnect all wires, hoses or cables that interfere with intake manifold removal.
- Remove any other components necessary in order to gain access to the intake manifold attaching nuts and bolts.
- Remove the intake manifold stay.
- If necessary, remove the carburetor.
- Disconnect the intake manifold water hoses.
- Remove the five intake manifold retaining bolts and two nuts. Remove the gasket and intake manifold from the vehicle.
- Using a precision straight edge and thickness gauge, check the surface contacting the cylinder head for warpage. It should not exceed 0.0020 in. (0.05mm) on 3E-E engines or 0.0079 in. (0.20mm) on 3E engines. If the warpage exceeds these specifications, replace the manifold.
- Install a new intake manifold gasket to the cylinder head.
- Install the intake manifold then torque the nuts and bolts to specification. Work from the center to the ends in steps.
- Connect all hoses, wires or cables which were removed earlier.
- Install the carburetor, if applicable.
- Install the manifold stay and the air cleaner assembly.
- Fill the cooling system.
- Start the engine, check for leaks and roadtest for proper operation.