REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2 and 3
- Remove the transaxle from the vehicle. Follow procedures outlined in Drive Train .
If equipped with a manual transaxle, perform the following procedures:
- Matchmark the pressure plate and flywheel.
- Remove the pressure plate-to-flywheel bolts and the clutch assembly from the vehicle.
- Remove the flywheel-to-crankshaft bolts and the flywheel. The flywheel is a moderately heavy component. Handle it carefully and protect it on the workbench.
If equipped with an automatic transaxle, perform the following procedures:
- Matchmark the flywheel (flexplate or driveplate) and crankshaft.
- Remove the torque converter drive plate-to-crankshaft bolts and the torque converter drive plate.
- Remove the bolts holding the rear end plate to the engine, then remove the rear end plate.
- Remove the rear oil seal retainer-to-engine bolts, rear oil seal retainer-to-oil pan bolts and the rear oil seal retainer.
- Using a small pry bar, pry the rear oil seal retainer from the mating surfaces.
- Using a drive punch or a hammer and a small prytool, drive the oil seal from the rear bearing retainer.
When removing the rear oil seal, be careful not to damage the seal mounting surface.
- Using a putty knife, clean the gasket mounting surfaces. Make certain that the contact surfaces are completely free of oil and foreign matter.
- Clean the oil seal mounting surface.
- Using multi-purpose grease, lubricate the new seal lips.
- Using a seal installation tool or a smooth, round driver, tap the seal straight into the bore of the retainer.
- Position a new gasket on the retainer and coat it lightly with gasket sealer. Fit the seal retainer into place on the motor; be careful when installing the oil seal over the crankshaft.
- Install the oil seal retainer bolts. Tighten them 82 inch lbs. (9.3 Nm) on 3A and 3A-C engines and 65 inch lbs. (7.4 Nm) on 3E and 3E-E engines.
- Install the rear end plate. Tighten it's bolts until snug.
- Reinstall either the flexplate (automatic) or the flywheel (manual), carefully observing the matchmarks made earlier. Tighten the flexplate bolts or the flywheel bolts to the figure listed in the component torque specifications chart.
- Install the torque converter (automatic) or the clutch disc and pressure plate (manual).
- Reinstall the transaxle, following procedures outlined in Drive Train .