REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 23A and 3A-C Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove all the drive belts.
- Bring the engine to the top dead center timing position.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley with a suitable puller.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower timing case covers.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Remove all drive belts.
- If the vehicle is equipped with cruise control, remove the actuator and bracket assembly.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the right side front tire and wheel. Remove the right side engine splash shield. Remove the right side mount insulator.
- Remove the valve cover. Remove the crankshaft pulley and remove the timing cover mounting bolts and cover.
- Install in the reverse order procedure. Tighten all bolts to specification, as found on the component torque specifications chart in this section.