REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 23A and 3A-C Engines
- Disconnect the negative battery terminal.
- Remove all the drive belts.
- Bring the engine to the top dead center timing position.
- Remove the crankshaft pulley with a suitable puller.
- Remove the water pump pulley.
- Remove the upper and lower timing case covers.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Torque the crankshaft pulley bolt to 87 ft. lbs. (118 Nm).
On models equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) or "air bag,'' work must NOT be started until at least 90 seconds have passed from the time the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative cable is disconnected from the battery.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Remove all drive belts.
- If the vehicle is equipped with cruise control, remove the actuator and bracket assembly.
- Raise and support the vehicle safely. Remove the right side front tire and wheel. Remove the right side engine splash shield. Remove the right side mount insulator.
- Remove the valve cover. Remove the crankshaft pulley and remove the timing cover mounting bolts and cover.
- Install in the reverse order procedure. Tighten all bolts to specification, as found on the component torque specifications chart in this section.