See Figures 1 and 2
There are certain safety precautions which should be observed when jacking the vehicle. They are as follows:
- Always jack the car on a level surface.
- Set the parking brake, and block the wheels which aren't being raised. This will keep the car from rolling off the jack.
- During emergency tire changes, at least block the wheel diagonally opposite the one which is being raised.
The tool kit which is supplied with most Toyota passenger cars includes a wheel block.
- If the vehicle is being raised in order to work underneath it, support it with jackstands. Do not place the jackstands against the sheet metal panels beneath the car, as the panels could become distorted.
- Do not use a bumper jack to raise the vehicle; the bumpers are not designed for this purpose.
- Do not use cinder blocks to support a vehicle. They could crumble with little or no warning, dropping the vehicle and possibly causing serious injury.