REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle. Drain the differential fluid.
- Remove the rear axle shafts as outlined in this section.
- Disconnect the driveshaft from the differential assembly. Refer to the appropriate procedure.
- Remove the differential carrier retaining bolts, then remove the carrier assembly.
- Installation is the reverse of removal. Use a new gasket and torque the differential carrier retaining bolts to 23 ft. lbs. (31 Nm). Refill the differential unit with GL-5 SAE 90 oil, refer to Routine Maintenance for details.