This procedure applies to 1987-94 models.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle, then support the body with jackstands. Remove the wheels.
- Disconnect and plug the brake lines from the wheel cylinders.
- Disengage the attaching clips, then remove the brake lines/hoses from the axle beam.
- Remove the brake shoes, then disengage the parking brake cable from the backing plate. Refer to the appropriate procedures in this repair guide.
- Remove the brake backing plate, if necessary.
- Remove the lateral control rod.
- Make sure all hoses, cables or lines are disconnected from the axle beam.
- Support the axle beam with a jack, then remove the nut/bolts attaching the strut assemblies to the axle beam.
- Remove the nuts/bolts securing the axle beam assembly to the body, then carefully lower and remove the axle beam.
- Position the axle beam in place, then install the attaching bolts/nuts. Tighten the nuts until just snug.
- Connect the strut assemblies to the axle beam. Tighten the nuts until just snug.
- Install the lateral control rod. Tighten the nuts until just snug.
- Install the rear brake components, then connect the lines.
- Install the wheels, then lower the vehicle and bounce it to stabilize the suspension.
- Torque the axle beam-to-body bolts to 105 ft. lbs. (142 Nm). Refer to the appropriate procedures for the lateral control rod and strut assembly torque specifications.
- Bleed the brake system.