The lateral control rod can be found on 4WD models and 1987-94 sedans.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1 and 2
On models equipped with a Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) or "air bag,'' work must NOT be started until at least 90 seconds have passed from the time that both the ignition switch is turned to the LOCK position and the negative cable is disconnected from the battery.
The suspension on any vehicle is assembled with high grade, hardened fasteners. NEVER substitute a fastener of inferior load rating when assembling a suspension component!
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise the rear of the vehicle, then support the axle with jackstands.
- Remove the nut/bolt securing the rod to the axle, then disconnect the lateral rod from the rear axle.
- Remove the nut/bolt securing the rod to the body, then disconnect the lateral rod from the body. Remove the rod.
- Install the rod to the body with the nut, then finger-tighten it. Make sure the bushing, washer and spacer are correctly installed.
- Position the arm on the axle with the nut, then finger-tighten it.
- Lower the vehicle and bounce it a few times to stabilize the suspension.
- Raise and support the rear of the vehicle again, then tighten the rod-to-body nut to 83 ft. lbs. (113 Nm) and the rod-to-axle nut to 47 ft. lbs. (64 Nm).