REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figure 1
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Drain the power steering fluid from the reservoir. Disconnect pressure line and return hose.
- Remove the power steering pump belt.
- If necessary to access the pump from under the vehicle, remove the engine under cover then safely raise and support the vehicle.
- Remove the bolts from the mount bracket. Remove the power steering pump assembly from the vehicle.
- Installation is the reverse of the removal. Tighten the retaining bolts to 32 ft. lbs. (43 Nm). Adjust drive belt tension, bleed power steering and check for leaks.
Any time the power steering system has been opened or disassembled, the system must be bled to remove any air which may be trapped in the lines. Air will prevent the system from providing the correct pressures to the rack. Also, the correct fluid level reading will not be obtained if the system is not bled.
- With the engine running, turn the wheel all the way to the left, then shut off the engine.
- Add power steering fluid to the appropriate mark on the indicator.
- Start the engine and run at fast idle for about 15 seconds. Stop the engine and recheck the fluid level. Add to the appropriate mark as needed.
- Start the engine and bleed the system by turning the wheels from full left to full right 3 or 4 times.
- Stop the engine and check the fluid level and condition. Fluid with air in it has many tiny bubbles. This air must be eliminated from the system before normal operation can be obtained. Repeat the steps until the fluid is clear of air bubbles.