Adjustments to the power steering gear/rack and pinion assembly are not necessary during normal service.
REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Remove the hole cover screws to gain access to the steering column/steering gear yoke. Remove the bolt securing the yoke to the steering gear assembly.
On vehicles equipped with air bags, secure the steering wheel so that it will not turn.
- Place a drain pan below the power steering rack assembly. Clean the area around the line fittings on the rack.
- Elevate and safely support the vehicle, then remove both front wheels.
- Remove the cotter pins from both tie rod ends, then remove the nuts.
- Using a tie rod separator, disengage the tie rod ends from the steering knuckles.
- Label and disconnect the fluid pressure and return lines at the rack.
- Remove the nuts/bolts attaching the steering rack to the body.