- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions section.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait for 90 seconds after disconnecting the cable to prevent the airbag working.
NOTEIf the airbag connector is disconnected with the ignition switch in the ACC or ON position, DTCs will be recorded.
- Place the front wheels facing straight ahead.
- Remove the steering wheel lower No. 3 cover.
- Remove the steering wheel lower No. 2 cover.
- Using a Torx® socket wrench (T30), loosen the 2 Torx®screws. Loosen each screw until the groove along the screw circumference is caught on the screw case.
- Pull out the wheel pad from the steering wheel.
Disconnect the airbag connectors.
CAUTIONWhen storing the steering wheel pad, keep the upper surface of the pad facing upward.
NOTENever disassemble the steering wheel pad.
NOTEWhen removing the steering wheel pad, take care not to pull the airbag wire harness.
- Disconnect the horn terminal and remove the steering wheel pad.
- Remove the steering wheel set nut.
- Put matchmarks on the steering wheel and main shaft assembly.
- Using SST 09950-50013 or equivalent, remove the steering wheel.
- Align the matchmark on the wheel with the one on the main shaft.
Install the wheel set nut and tighten to 50 Nm (37 ft. lbs.)
NOTENever use airbag parts from another vehicle. When replacing parts, replace with new ones.
NOTEInspect the wheel pad. If the wheel pad has been dropped, or there are cracks, dents or other defects on the case or connector, replace the wheel pad with a new one.
NOTEWhen installing the wheel pad, take care that the wirings do not interfere with other parts and are not pinched between other parts.
- Connect the horn terminal.
- Connect the airbag connectors.
- Install the wheel pad after confirming that the circumference groove of the Torx® screw is caught on the screw case.
- Using a Torx® socket wrench (T30), tighten the 2 Torx® screws to 8.8 Nm (78 in. lbs.).
- Install the steering wheel lower No. 2 cover.
- Install the steering wheel lower No. 3 cover.
- Check steering wheel center point.
- Connect cable to negative battery terminal.