Removal & Installation
- Remove the oil pan.
- Remove the 2 bolts and the accessory drive belt tensioner.
- Remove the nut and the accessory drive belt idler pulley.
- Remove the bypass hose from the coolant outlet pipe.
- Remove the 2 bolts and the water bypass pipe bracket from the cylinder head.
- Remove the nut and 15 bolts and the timing chain housing.
- Clean the sealing surfaces on the timing chain housing, the cylinder head, the oil pan, the engine block and the lower crankcase.
Inspect the front crank seal. If necessary, replace as follows:
- Remove the crankshaft pulley.
- Carefully pry out the crankshaft front oil seal using a screwdriver.
Apply a continuous bead of sealant, GM P/N 12345997, Canadian P/N 12345997 or equivalent, to the following:
The cylinder head-engine block mating points
- Lubricate the new crankshaft front oil seal with Chassis Grease, GM P/N 1051344, Canadian P/N 993037 or equivalent.
- Using a hammer and an appropriate driver, lightly tap the crankshaft front oil seal into place until its surface is flush with the crankshaft front oil seal retainer edge.
- Install the dowel pin to the timing chain housing.
- Install the timing chain housing. Secure with the nut and 15 bolts. Tighten the nut and bolts to 97 inch lbs. (11 Nm).
- Install oil pan.