2.0L And 2.5L Engines
- Install a scan tool.
- On the 2.5L engine, remove the two fasteners and the ignition coil cover from the bank 1 valve cover.
- Start the engine.
- Allow the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
Perform the following checks:
The A/C is Off, if equipped.
- Connect an inductive timing light to the number 1 ignition coil wiring harness.
- Select the Engine Output Controls feature under Special Functions of the scan tool Diagnostic menu.
- TURN ON the Fixed Spark mode with the scan tool.
- Observe that the Spark parameter on the scan tool data list displays 5 degrees, indicating that the Fixed Spark mode has been activated.
- Inspect with the timing light that the crankshaft pulley notch lines up with the timing pointer, indicating that the timing is correctly set at 5 degrees.
- If the timing marks are not correctly aligned, adjust the ignition timing.