REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
Do not remove the output flange nut with an impact wrench, otherwise the transfer assembly could be damaged.
- Matchmark the driveshaft and output flange and remove the driveshaft.
- Cut the lock tabs of the output flange mounting nut with a chisel.
Hold the output flange and remove the following components in this order:
Output flange mounting nut (Replace when reassembling)
- Carefully remove the output flange seal.
- Install a new seal. Once installed coat the lip of the seal with a light petroleum grease.
- Coat the output flange seal surface with a light petroleum grease and install the flange.
- Install a new O-ring, then the back-up ring and a new conical washer. Make sure the conical washer is installed such that the raised portion is facing out.
- Coat the shaft and mounting nut with ATF before installing the nut.
- Hold the output flange and tighten the mounting nut to 98 ft. lbs. (132 Nm), then stake the nut into the groove.
- Align the matchmark between the driveshaft and the output flange and reinstall the driveshaft. Tighten the bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Check the transmission fluid level and top off as necessary.