REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
- Raise and safely support the front of the vehicle.
- Drain the transaxle lubricant and remove the guard bar/splash shield.
- Disconnect the header pipe from the vehicle.
- Remove the shift cable. Do not bend the shift cable excessively.
- Matchmark the driveshaft and transfer assembly flanges, then separate.
- Clean the area around the transfer assembly to keep dirt and debris form entering the transaxle.
- Remove the mounting bolts for the rear stiffener and the transfer assembly.
Do not allow dust or other foreign material to enter the transmission while servicing the transfer unit.
See Figure 1
- Install a new O-ring on the transfer assembly.
- Install the transfer assembly and tighten the mounting bolts to 33 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
- Install and tighten the rear stiffener mounting bolts to 17 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).
- Line up the marks on the driveshaft and tighten the bolts to 24 ft. lbs. (32 Nm).
- Install the shift cable and cover.
- Attach the exhaust header pipe and install the splash shield/guard bar.
- Fill the transmission with Honda Automatic transmission fluid or ATF, then start the engine and allow it to reach operation temperature. Turn the engine OFF and recheck the fluid level.