Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable. Allow the system capacitor to discharge for 3 minutes before beginning any component service. This will disable the airbag system.
CAUTIONFailure to disable the airbag system may result in accidental airbag deployment, personal injury, or death.
- Remove the ignition key from the vehicle.
- Connect the clockspring harness connector and horn harness connector to the clockspring.
Set the clockspring on neutral position and after turning the front wheels to the straight-ahead position, install the clockspring.
- Check connectors and protective tube for damage, and terminals for deformities.
- If even one abnormal point is discovered, replace the clockspring with a new one.
- Connect the clockspring harness connector and the steering switch harness connector to the clockspring.
- Set the center position by getting the marks between the clockspring and the cover into line.
- Turn the clockspring clockwise to the stop and then 2.4 revolutions counterclockwise. See the illustration of marks in line.
- Install the steering wheel column cover and the steering wheel.
- Connect the Driver Airbag (DAB) module connector and the horn connector, then install the DAB module on the steering wheel.
- Secure the DAB with the new mounting bolts. Tightening torque of DAB mounting bolt: 70-96 inch lbs. (8-11 NM).
- Connect the battery negative cable.
- After installing the airbag, confirm proper system operation: