Removal & Installation
- Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the Precautions Section.
- Remove the propeller shaft.
- Drain the transfer oil through drain plug hole.
Remove the 7 pinion assembly mounting bolts (B) and then remove the pinion assembly (A).
Remove the O-ring (A) from the pinion shaft and case assembly.
Remove the spacer (A).
Remove the HEX lock nut (A).
Remove the rear flange assembly (A).
Using the SST(09455-32200), remove the pinion oil seal (A) from the pinion case.
- Install the oil seal and the rear flange assembly.
Tighten down the hex lock nut until there is an axial clearance
of 0.0099-0.0296 inch (0.25mm-0.75mm) between pinion and pinion case.
Apply an additional 200N tension load (F1) to the pinion head according to arrangement Y. Rotate the pinion 10 times and measure dimension C
Measure dimension Ev.
NOTETo achieve the target preload torque, it is permissible to gradually increase the tightening torque. If the permissible preload torque of 19 inch lbs. (2.1 Nm) is exceeded, it is not allowed to loosen the Hex lock nut. Disassemble the whole pinion assembly. Replace the collapsible spacer and repeat the mounting procedure.
Tighten HEX lock nut
Measure dimension En.
WARNINGThe collapsible spacer must be replaced during reassembly. Permanent deformation is caused by the tightening procedure.
Check preload. A preload torque of 16-19 inch lbs. (1.8-2.1 Nm) corresponds to a bearing preload of 0.0047-0.0063 inch (0.12-0.16mm)
- Measurement of B :
Assemble the O-ring and select the proper spacer for reassembling the transfer case.
- Install the 7 pinion assembly mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to: 15-22 ft. lbs. (37-40 Nm).
- Install the pinion assembly.
- Install the propeller shaft to the transfer case. Tighten to: 36-51 ft. lbs. (50-70 Nm).
- Fill the transfer case with the proper amount and type of oil.
- Check for leaks.