The voltage regulator is attached to the rear of the alternator and includes the brushes. Since no adjustment can be performed on the regulator, it is serviced only by replacement.
- Note the radio code, and then disconnect the negative battery cable.
- If the back of the alternator is not easily accessible, remove the alternator as necessary.
- If equipped, remove the cover on the back of the alternator.
- It is not necessary to disconnect any wiring. Remove the mounting screws and remove the regulator.
- Measure the free length of the brushes. If they are less than about 3 / 16 inch (5mm) long, the regulator must be replaced. New brushes are 1 / 2 inch (12mm) long.
- Install the new regulator and tighten the screws.
- The balance of assembly is in reverse order of removal.