- Remove the engine and/or transaxle as necessary.
- On automatic transaxles, mark the flywheel so it can be installed with the same face towards the transaxle and carefully keep track of the location the shim and thrust plate and where they were removed from.
- Use VW tool 558, or an equivalent, locking tool to hold the flywheel from turning.
- Remove the bolts and remove the flywheel. If necessary clean the bolt holes in the crankshaft with a tap.
To Install :
- Before installing the automatic transaxle drive plate:
- Temporarily install the flywheel with 3 bolts.
- Use a depth caliper to measure the distance between the outer face of the ring gear and the cylinder block.
The distance must be:
- Remove the flywheel and replace the shim as needed. Only one shim can be used, they cannot be stacked.
- Install the flywheel/drive plate using new bolts and torque evenly using a crisscross pattern as follows:
2.0L DOHC (9A) engine:
2.0L SOHC (ABA) engine:
2.8L VR6 engine:
2.8L V6 engine: